I was born February 13, 1923 at Pearson, Washington.  They say 
there was so much snow the doctor could not get to our place.  A 
lady that lived close by came and helped my mother.  This all 
happened in the old house that was my mother's parents homestead.  
William and Sarah Morgan were my grandparents, on my mother's side. 
 My grandparents on my dad's side were John August Hallman and 
Johanna Kristian.  Grandma Hallman I remember well, I was scared to 
death of her!  She sat in her rocking chair by the stove and when 
she said anything it was in Swedish.  We didn't know what she was 
saying, so it made her angry and she would scold my dad because he 
didn't teach us how to speak in Swedish!  Grandma Hallman died one 
day when there was about 18 inches of snow, on January 21, 1935.  
Papa and Ralph took the horse and scraper and cleared the road so 
the undertaker could come up the hill to get her body.  Grandpa 
Hallman died in 1913, 10 years before I was born.  	I do not 
remember my Grandpa and Grandma Morgan.  Grandpa was killed by an 
oxen while clearing land on the homestead.  

	My mama was born at Colby, Washington in 1884, the first white 
child born in Kitsap County!  Papa was born in Sweden in 1877.  He 
came to the United States when he was 6 years old. I am the 7th 
child in a family of 8 children.  I was born after we had inside 
plumbing in the house.  Papa always worked hard to provide the best 
he could for us all.  We always had a big garden, berries fruit, 
chickens, pigs, cows and a horse.  We cut our own wood for heat and 
to cook with.  Papa worked out when he could find work. Papa cut 
and sold fir wood to get money we had to have to buy things like 
flour, salt, coffee, sugar and gas.  He would sometimes trade wood 
to the stores in Poulsbo for things we had to have or wanted. 
During the hard times of the '30's we had food we raised on the 
farm and Mama canned everything.  We had a cellar in the hillside 
that was mostly under ground.  It had shelves for apples, carrots, 
beets, potatoes, and shelves for all of the canned food my mother 
put up.  We had sauerkraut in a wooden barrel, pickles in a barrel, 
and vinegar made with a fruit press from our own apples.  Papa 
always saved seed for everything he would plant in the garden.  I 
will never forget the long rows of carrots he would plant.  We had 
to weed them by hand on our hands and knees.  Hot sun shining 
didn't help.  As kids at home we worked every day but Sundays, when 
we went to Sunday school.  Sunday dinner was always a little 
special and sometimes we would have company.  The older children 
had left home when I was quite young.  They would come home on 
Sunday and spend the day. 

	I can remember my sister, Goldie, would take Ted, my younger 
brother, to Seattle at Christmas to see all the Christmas lights 
and pretty windows.  It was a highlight of the year.    

	I spent a lot of my childhood with Papa.  We had a horse and 
wagon we used to haul wood.  I learned at an early age to harness 
the horse and hook him up to a sled or wagon.  We always had cows 
to milk, the barn to clean, manure to haul out each spring to the 
hay field and garden.  The job of hauling the manure was always our 
job as kids.  We also milked at least one cow, brought in the wood 
for both the cookstove and the wood heater.

	In the mornings Papa was up first.  He would get his breakfast 
and then go out to do the morning chores, milk, turn out the cows 
and horse, feed the pigs, calf, chickens and anything else we had. 
 We had a big barn that held a lot of hay.  We raised all of our 
own hay for the cows.  It was hard to get it dried some years 
because of the rain.

	Papa would come in from the morning chores and Mama would be 
getting breakfast for us kids.  Papa would come to the bottom of 
the steps and holler at 7:00 o'clock, "Soon it would be noon and 
half the day will be gone, so get up, we have work to be done!"  
Often he would go out and start working on something and we kids 
would go out after we ate breakfast.  Fall and winter we would saw 
wood.  We had lots of big old growth fir trees we sawed down with a 
handcut cross cut saw.  It was a sight to see a tree 4 of 5 feet 
through fall to the ground with such a thunder!  The ground would 
shake, dust would fly, limbs would fall, and the big tree would 
bounce when it hit the ground.  We had a gas powered drag saw that 
would cut off the blocks of wood 15 to 16 inches long.  We would 
split it, stack it in rows 4 feet high and 8 feet long.  We would 
sell 3 rows, 4 feet high and 8 feet long for $6.00!  That was 
called a cord.  We would also deliver it for that.

	Papa wore false teeth and they bothered him so he would take 
them out in the woods and lay them someplace, like on a stump, a 
wood pile or somewhere.  At night when we would be ready to eat 
dinner, Papa would say "Dave, my teeth are up in the woods on a 
certain stump, would you go get them?"  This was a spooky hike 
about 1/2 to 3/4 mile into the woods and it was almost dark.  A 
young boy can imagine a lot of things in the woods in the dark!

	Our father used to tell stories of his younger life.  Hunting 
stories of deer, bear and grouse.  He told of working in the woods 
alone one day and on the way home he treed a bear.  He had no gun 
so he took off his shirt and pants and tied them together, and tied 
them around the bottom of the tree.  He ran home in his underwear, 
put on some more clothes, got a gun and went back and shot the 
bear!  Another time told of finding two 

racoons in a tree.  He built a fire at the bottom of the tree, ran 
home, got a gun, went back to the tree.  The coons had put out the 
fire by urinating on it!  They were both gone and the fire was out.

	On my 12th birthday, Papa traded some wood for a single shot 
22 rifle and gave it to me.   We could buy 22 shots for 25 cents 
for a box of 50 bullets.  I carried that gun each time we went to 
the woods.  It was in the house when it burned down in 1938.  Our 
home burned down from a chimney fire.  Doris was home by herself.  
She heard a roaring noise and went out to see what it was and the 
roof was afire.  She ran to Uncle Jerry's and they called the 
Poulsbo Fire Department.  They came, but could not save the house. 
 They kept water on the barn and woodshed so they did not burn.  
This happened in the month of May.  We cleaned all the old hay out 
of the barn and used it for a place to sleep.  People donated beds, 
clothes, blankets, money and a lot of the things that we needed.  
We cleaned out the woodshed and cellar.  Mom had a bed in one side 
of the cellar.  We had a table and chairs in the wood shed to eat 
off of and a wood cookstove to cook with.  We lived this way that 
whole summer and by September we moved into the basement of our new 
house. Papa was selling clothes and shoes, going house to house, so 
he couldn't stay home to work on the house much.  Ted and I dug the 
basement by using a plow to loosen the dirt and a scraper to move 
the dirt.  Papa hired a man to make the cement forms for the 
basement.  We traded some land to another man and he was able to do 
the lathing and plastering, and most of the other work.  We finally 
got it done so we could move in.  I think it was about 
Thanksgiving.  We only had $2,200.00 worth of insurance.  Papa and 
I went for some building wreckers that were tearing down some 
buildings.  We had the job of pulling nails out of the lumber.  For 
our pay we took lumber for the house.

	School and I did not get along.  I quit as a freshman and took 
a job milking cows morning and night for a lady.  Then I got a job 
in a service station.  Later I worked in a grocery store in 
Keyport, Washington.  I had a 1925 Model "T" pickup I bought for 
$8.00.  I used it to go to work in a garage in Poulsbo after that. 
 The war came December 7, 1941 and I went to work at the Navy Yard 
December 19, 1941 and worked there until I was drafted in April, 
1943.  I went in the Army to Fort Lewis, Camp Harahan in New 
Orleans, Camp Harris at Hattiesberg, Miss. then on to the 
Philippines, first in a Port Battalion, Transportation Corps.  
After the war ended I came back and was discharged at Fort Lewis 
February, 1946.  After I was discharged from the Army I went back 
to work in the Shipyard.  

	I was first married in Hattiesberg, Miss. to Johnnie Patrick; 
she was the mother of David Larry and Wesley Dale Hallman.  She 
moved to Washington when I went overseas.  We were divorced in 
1953.  She passed away about 1981 or 1982.  

	My folks gave me 3 acres of land overlooking the water toward 
Poulsbo.  I cleared part of it and built a little house.   We sold 
it and moved to Bremerton so I would not have to travel so far to 
work.  After my folks passed away we sold our place in Bremerton 
and bought the folks place.  Then when I was divorced we sold the 
old place.  It was later rented out and someone burned it down.  

	Both Mom and Papa died in 1951.  Mom had a stroke and Papa 
died from the heart ailment he had for quite a few years.  After my 
first divorce I moved to Bremerton, across the street from Goldie & 
Lewie's place.  I had one room and bath.  I had my meals at 
Goldie's except on weekends when I ate out.  I lived in that room 
for about two years when I took a job as an apprentice sailmaker 
and I had to have a place so I could study at home.  I rented a 
little house on Callow Avenue where I could study and cook and I 
could make my own lunch.  At night I would eat dinner at Goldie's. 
 She did my laundry and I ironed my own clothes.  I met and married 
Mary in 1957 and had a very difficult 5 years.  Lewis Hagbo, 
Goldie's husband died in 1960.  In 1962 I left Mary and moved in 
with Goldie.  She let me have Larry & Wes live there too.  Larry 
went into the Army as soon as he was old enough and Wes did the 
	I met Opal through a friend at a square dance class.  We were 
married in 1965 and have lived here in Tracyton all our married 
life.  She had three children, two girls and one boy, Deanna, Donna 
and Randy.  I had the two boys, Larry and Wes.  Deanna now has two 
girls, Randy has two sets of twins, each one girl and one boy, and 
Donna has one girl and one boy.  Larry has one boy in Idaho and Wes 
has two girls.

To Bruce Hallman's home page